The Alaska Parent Information and Resource Center’s purpose is to help districts and schools strengthen the following to meet the educational needs of all children:
- Parental involvement policies, programs, and activities that lead to improvement in student academic achievement
- Partnerships among families (including parents of children from birth through age 5), community based organizations, teachers, principals, and other school personnel.
In partnership for years with RurAL CAP and the Anchorage and Yupiit School Districts, this federally funded program provided parents and educators with information and training to increase parent involvement as outlined in the No Child Left Behind Act.
In school year 2009-2010, AKPIRC:
- Implemented the Language and Cultural Liaison program in partner districts bridging communication between 177 families and schools through activities such as parent support, workshops, and parent teacher conferences.
- Trained 532 early childhood providers statewide, developed and disseminated Parents as Teachers program information and provided direct services and resources to 84 parents through home visits.
- Developed toolkits for the AKPIRC website that includes parent guides, professional development materials, and other resources that educators can use to increase parent involvement in their schools.
- Piloted Solid Foundation, a parent engagement program developed by the Academic Development Institute.
During School Year 2010-11, AKPIRC:
- Supported 472 low-income and limited English proficient parents through 802 monthly home visits, 36 parent workshops, and 16 parent meetings
- Conducted Community Cafes in 9 schools – a process that invites discussion and finds solutions for challenges faced by communities across Alaska
- Worked with RuRAL CAP to provide Parents as Teachers training and services across the state
- Created 97 resources including parent workshop toolkits for schools and guides for parents
- Due to AKPIRC and its many partners efforts, Governor Parnell proclaimed November Parent Involvement Month
- Awarded three Red Carpet Award to schools that set the standard for parent outreach and honored one Alaskan parent with a Partner in Learning award for exemplifying outstanding parent engagement practices